Wednesday, January 04, 2012

Little World Views

I thought I'd share with you the other end of my little rue...to offer a bit of balance from the first glimpse you had.  Buckled walls, a crazy quilt of windows, doorways that range from rustic to magnificent...you'll find it all right here.

At the far end of this view, on the right-hand side of the street, a plaque commemorates the place where a few French citoyens* were killed in the foyer of the building during the German occupation of Aix.  And that's just a recent brush stroke of history!  I've heard that my building was built in the 17th century and housed sheep in what is now the little courtyard.  Imagine the stories embedded in these walls.  Somehow I feel myself to be a very small part of something much bigger here.

All through town, sturdy but irregular buildings stand shoulder to shoulder and watch my passage as I wander in their canyons.  I feel safe under their constant regard.  Perhaps familiar is a better word.  Some of the challenges I've experienced in this settling process have certainly brought me to my knees, and yet, this place still speaks to my soul.  I'm not sure it speaks French when engaged in those 'soul chats', but it definitely makes itself understood:  It's going to be alright.  You're supposed to be here.  Wait and see...  


And so I do...


Bien à toi,
leslie

* citizen

3 comments:

donna said...

i can only imagine the uphill climb it was when you first landed there and tried to establish a path......but obviously it is the right thing as you are still there .......learning as you go.....i remember sitting in Saint-Sauveur Cathedral and just marveling that the artist i so admire and connect to, Cezanne, went to Mass in that same dwelling....my brain couldn't quite grasp it all...

Anonymous said...

I am always reminded of the saying "you are always where you are supposed to be". At this time, here and now, this is your place Leslie.

Kris

la fourchette said...

donna, my brain still marvels at this place...sometimes while sitting in that very cathedral in the little side chapel of the black madonna.

Kris, this is one of my favorite sayings. I first saw it on a lithograph by r. stein in San Francisco...which I purchased and is here with me in France: "You are where you're supposed to be...doing exactly what you're supposed to be doing...otherwise...you'd be somewhere else doing something else." Words to live by if ever there were!

You migh also like:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...