Wednesday, December 07, 2011

Wednesday Window on Provence - Festival of Lights



This old-fashioned carousel is a charming addition to the light festival in our little ville.  But I've always found the carnival atmosphere at the other end of the cours Mirabeau - complete with whacky rides, a bungee cord rig and multiple cotton candy kiosks - to be a bit odd for the season.  Then I remember:  *I* am the guest here and this makes sense to the rest of these fine people.  So party on, my friends.  'Tis the season where we pull out all the stops!

(By the way, this image is one found in the holiday selection of cards available at La Fourchette.  You still have just enough time to get your cards ordered for gifts!)

Ciao,
leslie

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

It is a bit odd to see a carousel lit up around Christmas...it sort of reminds me of the time my cousin took me to Mexican grocery store. It had rides in the front of the store, music over the loudspeaker with cotton candy and a place to eat etc.. I never saw anything like that. It was really interesting. It reminded me of a carnival! Everyone seemed to be having such a good time.

Kris

Anonymous said...

Madame LER,

Your holiday cards are lovely, the very best. My friends always feel so fortunate to receive them. Thank you again!!!!

Happy Holiday Cheers,

Bubba's Person

la fourchette said...

Kris, I know. The carnival gig here took me by surprise, too. Halloween, okay. But Christmas? It's quite popular here, though...and I have to remember: When in Rome...or wherever I am...

BP, awww, shucks! Merci, Monsieur. What a sweet thing to share. I'm really pleased you like them.

laura said...

Love it!

I actually am back home at the moment, and on the plane ride I read an article about the christmas market in Brussels. Apparently there are two really amazingly awesome carrousels that travel all around Europe and are in Brussels every year for Christmas! You should go if you get the chance.

Anonymous said...

I noticed there is another carousel in the square next to Cafe d'Artistes in allees provencal, so now there are two. I'm not sure if it just for the festive season, but it is very beautiful.

la fourchette said...

laura, oh enjoy your holidays! Thanks for the note about Brussels - it's right up there with Bruges on my to do list. Soak up lots of sunshine and hugs before you head back.

claire, yes, I saw that carousel being set up...our little ville punctuated by carousels! Lovely, non?

You migh also like:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...