Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Wednesday Window on Provence



It is to a French morning as a shot of milky pastis is to a French afternoon. (For some hearty French livers that is...a remarkably potent potion that pastis!)

My French days begin with a "bon café". I like the way a strong French roast makes my little kitchen smell. I like that first warm sip...I even like the last gritty drop after it's cooled as I've read the morning's news.

But with a squeaky clean system thanks to modern medicine, I've decided to take this opportunity to go off the stuff...again. I do this every once in a while. At some point, there is a good chance that I'll be seduced by the irresistible aroma of some sneaky bean in the future - but for now, I'm taking a break.

Usually the Wednesday post is a photo-only type of deal but a friend of mine was kind enough to share his chai tea recipe with me in the Lovely Comments of a previous post. I just thought I'd put it out there for all to have.

You don't even have to turn your back on coffee to enjoy it!

Bon appetit!
Leslie

p.s. Many thanks to Bubba's Person for sharing his secrets!

YOGI TEA (which can be altered to your preferences):
2 quarts water
15 whole cloves
20 black peppercorns
3 sticks of cinnamon
20 whole cardamom pods (split the pods first)
8 fresh ginger slices (1/4" thick, no need to peel)
After all the above is cooked, add 1/2 teaspoon regular or decaf black tea leaves (approximately 1 tea bag)
Dairy or soy milk and honey or maple syrup or succanat to taste
Preparation:
Bring two quarts of water to a boil. Add cloves and boil one minute. Add cardamom, peppercorns, cinnamon, and ginger. Cover and boil for 30 minutes. Reduce heat and simmer for two to three hours. Remove from heat, add black tea, and let cool. Strain and store in the refrigerator. Reheat when you want a cup and add milk and honey or succanat to taste. (Bubba’s Person’s note: Personally, I like a lot more ginger.)

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Leslie - do you have a shot of pasis? lol. I went looking for a drink & found espresso!

marc snyder

Tamsie said...

What a nice alternative to EggNog - Yogi Tea...Never got the appeal of EggNog.
How can you turn your back on good French cafe creme? Are you running a fever again!

la fourchette said...

Marc: Ahhhh....you have to know where to look! Try donning a beret at a bit of a tilt and head for the petanque courts...pastis flows freely from midi on (speaking of "tilt"!)

Tamsie: this tea is definitely something for the elves to know about...in Iceland. (Tough times up there this year, non?!) Oh, I'm sure I'll find my way back into the bottom of a creme one day again...but for now, this is filling the bill. And my little kitchen smells wonderful!

You migh also like:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...